Friday, December 7, 2012

From Books to Movies?


So November was a big month for early teasers/new teasers. YA novels are all the rage in Hollywood, spawned off the success of the Twilight Saga, and now The Hunger Games. From top to bottom are novels, whose movies releases will be in 2013; Beginning with The Host by Stephenie Meyer, author of the Twilight saga. Now if you're like me and you weren't totally into the whole Twilight craze I could see your hesitation to even be mildly interesting in this novel. However, it was very entertaining; it'd be bias if I said it was better than Twilight, as I only read five pages before I could bare no more. I did enjoy it, my issue with the trailer for the film release is how the movie is portrayed as an action film, which in all due respect it was not. To avoid any spoilers from my part here's a brief summary via Open Roads Youtube:
"FROM STEPHENIE MEYER (AUTHOR OF THE TWILIGHT SAGA) COMES "THE HOST," A LOVE STORY SET IN THE FUTURE, WHERE EARTH IS OCCUPIED BY A SPECIES WHO ERASE THE MINDS OF THEIR HUMAN HOSTS, LEAVING THEIR BODIES INTACT. MELANIE STRYDER (Saoirse Ronan) IS ONE OF THE LAST SURVIVING HUMANS WHO FIGHTS BACK, RISKING HER LIFE FOR THE PEOPLE SHE CARES ABOUT MOST -- JARED (Max Irons), IAN, (Jake Abel), HER BROTHER JAMIE (Chandler Canterbury) AND HER UNCLE JEB (William Hurt) -- PROVING THAT LOVE CAN CONQUER ALL"
Although Saoirse Ronan's character does "fight back" it is definitely not to the extremes the summary, nor the trailer made it seem. The novel was a lot more mellow, and romantic if anything.. I did enjoy the novel, not a fan of Meyer's work, but the story line was decent at best. My judgement will not be clouded by my having read the novel, and I'll gladly see the movie. I also love who've they cast! Saoirse Ronan is a phenomenal actress and the beautiful Max Irons! Oh I'm in heaven! This film will be released March 29, 2013.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion, to be quite honest with you I have yet to read Marion's debut novel... However do plan on doing so before February 1st, its release date.
"After a zombie becomes involved with the girlfriend of one of his victims, their romance sets in motion a sequence of events that might transform the entire lifeless world."
This brief summary was provided by movieclipstrailers, via YouTube. Warm Bodies stars Nicholas Hoult, from X-Men: First Class fame As well as playing Tony Stonem from the popular UK show Skins. It also stars Teresa Palmer, known for roles in I am Number Four, The Sorcerer's Apprentice among other films. This film looks absolutely adorable, and is a nice change from the whole vampire scene! It'd definitely on my to read list as well as my to watch list.
I am by far one the biggest The Mortal Instruments fans out there! The Mortal Instruments,by Cassandra Clare, is a YA series consisting of six books, five that have been published and the last to be released in 2014. I read four out of five so far, and absolutely love them! If you grew up a Buffy, Charmed or even Supernatural fan this is definitely up your alley! To give you a brief summary City of Bones is about a young girl named Clary Fray who discovers she is a Shadowhunter; Shadowhunters are half-human half- angel (Nephilim) demon fighters. She must now used her new found skills as well as help from her new found friends to get her mother back, who has been taken by an unlikely and unexpected foe.
Everything I've seen from the trailer looks perfect! The cast is spot on, in my humble opinion. The film stars Lily Collins, whose credits include The Blindside, Abduction, Mirror Mirror etc, as well as Jamie Campbell Bower from Sweeney Todd fame, as well as appearing in the Twilight franchise as well as Harry Potter. It also stars the adorable Robert Sheehan (Misfits), Kevin Zeggers (Frozen), Jemima West, among others.
Although many fans complain about the cast, I adore them! I won't lie as I did have my reservations about JCB playing the role of Jace, but upon seeing the trailer any doubt has vanished, HE IS JACE! I won't hesitiate to go see this one when it comes out and suggest you read the novels!
Want to read for yourself?
Buy The Host HERE!
Buy Warm Bodies HERE!
Buy The Mortal Instruments HERE!

3 comments

  1. Wow, such a great blog! And I see Tony from The Skins here :p
    Feel free to visit my blog in ur spare time and ofc follow if you like to!
    Kisses, Compagnion2 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you !
      Loved him in Skins.
      Will do

      Delete
  2. They seem really nice, I've to watch it!

    my-lovely-clothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Any and every comment is appreciated and always read! Leave me any questions and I'll be sure to answer. And thank you for reading this post! If you'd like to further contact me my email is open to anyone who wants it ramosdalia3@gmail.com.

© The Introverted Brunette
Maira Gall